Friday 11 April 2014

The Rule of Three

Yesterday, in a comment on Randomelouise's recent post, I wrote that I could only handle 'to do lists' with no more than three items on them.

Today I found out that I could only cook a meal with no more than three ingredients in it.

While I was pondering on this, I thought that this rule might also apply to drawing and painting - which I can do only in small bursts of energy, with long pauses in-between.

Perhaps I can only handle a creative project existing of not more than three steps, too. Or not more than three objects. Or three colours. Or all of the above.

I signed up to do an illustration for Carla Sonheim's FairyLand. Very, very scary thing to do, to not only start a drawing, but actually finish it, too - but I am going to try it anyway, with the help of my new rule of three…

"Luctor et Emergo" (these words are part of the Emblem of Zeeland: a struggling lion emerging from the waves).

Thanks for reading this.

Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Oooh! Good luck! But, you know, the three thing? I read ages ago that your best "to do" list only has three things on it. I mean, your to do list for every day. Only have three items on it, make them all vital, and you will achieve them. Because it's only three things. I often do this, and it works. It's because it's only three things ... No overwhelm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wonderful, you gave me Three Comments!! This makes me so happy!

    I shall send you a personal reply...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting!The number 3 is always around me too. But I think it is more like OCD, I need to write 3 of everything, wash my hands 3 times..... Generally I try to control it, so instead of 3 I do 4. If one day you discover the meaning of the 3 let me know.

    ReplyDelete